Classic Carbonara with Vetta Spaghetti
Prep time: 20min Cooking time: 15 minutes Serves 4
- 500g Vetta Spaghetti
- 5 large free-range egg yolks
- 130 g Parmesan cheese finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 450 g quality pancetta, skin removed and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, parmesan and season with pepper to taste. Put to one side.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, rub the pancetta skin, if you have any, all over the base of a medium frying pan (or one tablespoon of the olive oil if preferred) and put on stovetop at medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the pan and move it around to flavour the fat for approximately 1 minute. Stir in the diced pancetta and cook for 4 minutes, or until the garlic starts to crisp up.
- Discard the garlic from the pan. Drain the spaghetti, reserving some of the liquid and add the spaghetti to the pan. Toss the pan so the garlic infused oil coats the spaghetti. Remove from the stove top.
- Toss the spaghetti again off the heat with a good splash of the cooking water and pour in the prepared egg mixture. The heat of the pan and spaghetti will cook the egg as the mixture is tossed well. The spaghetti mixture should look ‘glossy’ so more cooking water can be added without making it ‘soupy’.
- Serve with a grating of Parmesan and an extra twist of pepper.