Grilled Veg SMART Fibre Lasagne
Preparation time: 60 minutes Cooking time: 120 minutes, serves 4
- 1 box (250g) Vetta SMART Fibre Instant Lasagne Sheets
- 250g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1kg ripe plum tomatoes cut into 1cm pieces
- 1/2 cup full-cream ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup very coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 medium eggplant (about 625g), stem end trimmed, sliced lengthwise into 5mm-thick slabs
- 3 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 5mm-thick slabs
- 2 red bell capsicums, cored, seeded, quartered
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 180deg.
To make the tomato sauce:
- Heat a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, and then add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender. Add the thyme, bay leaves, oregano, and chilli flakes and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 50 minutes, or until the tomatoes are very tender and have broken down to form a chunky sauce.
Preparing the vegetables:
- Lay the eggplant slices on a baking tray and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand for about 20 minutes, or until the salt begins to draw out moisture from the eggplant.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold running water, then drain well. Place on a dry baking tray and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and olive oil together and season with salt and pepper. Lay the zucchini and capsicums on a large baking tray and brush both sides of the vegetables with 1/4 cup of the balsamic mixture.
- Place into oven and bake until just tender.
- When the sauce is done, remove the pan from the heat, then remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme stems. Stir in the ricotta cheese. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
To assemble and bake the lasagne:
- Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a baking dish. Lay 4 uncooked SMART Fibre lasagne sheets over the sauce, breaking them to fit. Lay one-third of the grilled vegetables over the sheets, and then spoon 1 cups of the sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle one-third of the mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat layering the sheets, vegetables, sauce, and mozzarella cheese one more time. Top with the remaining 4 lasagne sheets, then spread with 1 cups of the sauce.
- Arrange the remaining vegetables on top. Spoon the remaining sauce over the vegetables.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the lasagne. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the lasagne is golden brown on top and heated through.
- Let the lasagne stand for 15 minutes before serving.