Nonna’s Lasagne Bolognese
Preparation time: 45 minutes Cooking time: 80 minutes + 10min resting, serves 4
- 1 box (250g) Vetta Instant Lasagna Sheets
- ½ cup shredded tasty cheddar cheese – keep aside for final topping
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese – keep aside for final topping
- Rocket, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 x cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 100g tomato paste
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 60g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded tasty cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add mince beef, onion and garlic.
- Cook for several minutes over high heat until meat is browned; stirring to break up any lumps.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
2. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add milk and bring to simmering point, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
4. Add remaining ingredients and stir over heat until cheese melts.
5. Cover and keep hot.
- Preheat oven to 180◦C
- Spray a rectangle baking dish (approximately 23cm x 33cm x 6cm) with cooking oil.Arrange 3 lasagne sheets over the base and carefully spoon 1/3 of the meat sauce over the pasta, spreading evenly to the edges of the dish.
- Set aside 1 cup of cheese sauce and cover.
- Spoon 1/3 of the remaining cheese sauce evenly over the meat layer. Note that cheese sauce won’t entirely cover the layer.
- Repeat points 2 to 4, two more times.
- Top with remaining pasta sheets and the cup of previously put aside cheese sauce. Spread evenly to the edges of the dish.
- Top with the shredded cheeses (tasty cheddar and parmesan cheese).
- Bake in oven at 180◦C for 50 minutes.
- When lasagne is a light golden brown colour take the tray out of the oven and cover with foil.
- Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with rocket to garnish.