Pan Fried Chicken with Homemade Basil Pesto and Perino Tomatoes
Cooking time: 20 minutes, serves 4
Basil Pesto Sauce:
- 45g (1/4 cup) pine nuts
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves, halved
- 60g (3/4 cup) shredded parmesan
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
Chicken Pesto Pasta:
- 375g Vetta High Protein Low Carb Penne
- 1 chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 200g grape perino tomatoes (can be replaced with cherry tomatoes)
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (for garnish)
- 25g roasted pine nuts (to serve)
- For the Basil Pesto: toast the pine nuts in a frying pan on low heat until lightly golden. Remove from the pan and set aside for 10 min to cool.
- Place the pine nuts, basil, garlic and parmesan in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped, leaving aside a few basil leaves for serving. With the motor running, on low speed, gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large pot cook the penne according to packet instructions & drain, place back in the pot for later.
- Heat the olive oil in medium frying pan. Season the chicken strips with salt & pepper and pan fry until cooked through. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, over a medium heat, cook the grape tomatoes for 2 to 3 min until just softened. Take off the heat.
- Add the basil pesto sauce, tomatoes, and chicken strips to the pot of cooked penne and stir over low heat until combined.
- To serve, garnish with parmesan cheese, chopped basil and toasted pine nuts.