Bacon Carbonara with Vetta SMART Protein Spaghetti
Cooking time: 15 minutes, serves 3-4
- 375g Vetta SMART Protein Spaghetti
- 6 pieces of short cut bacon sliced into thin strips
- 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g grated pecorino
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed (optional)
- 1 bunch of parsley finely chopped
- Cracked pepper for seasoning
- In a bowl, mix eggs, pecorino and season with pepper to taste. Put to one side.
- Cook the SMART Protein Spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to the base of a medium frying pan
- Add the crushed garlic and stir in the bacon. Cook until slightly crispy.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving some of the liquid and add the spaghetti to the pan. Toss the pan so the bacon and garlic infused oil coats the spaghetti. Remove from the stove top.
- Toss the spaghetti again off the heat with a good splash of the cooking water and pour in the prepared egg mixture. The heat of the pan and spaghetti will cook the egg as the mixture is tossed well. The spaghetti mixture should look ‘glossy’ so more cooking water can be added without making it ‘soupy’.
- Serve with a grating of pecorino, parsley and an extra twist of cracked pepper (optional; also add chilli flakes)