Apple Crumble Scones with Vetta SMART Protein Flour
Prep time: 15-30 min Cook time: 25-30 min Serves: 8 pieces
- 1 ½ cup (206g) Vetta SMART Protein Plain Flour
- 1/3 cup (67g) sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1 ¼ tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/6 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/3 cup (76g) unsalted butter (grated & frozen)
- 1/3 cup (80g) thickened cream
- 1 small (32g) whole egg
- 1 tsp (4g) vanilla extract
- 2 small (142g) Grannysmith apple (grated)
- 1/2 tsp (3g) lemon juice
- 1 whole egg (32g) + 1 tsp water (5g) (to brush over the top)
- Sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- Store-bought caramel sauce
- Speculaas biscuit (crumbled)
- Mix dry ingredients and frozen grated butter together in a bowl with fingertips until it resembles pea sized crumbs. Set aside in the freezer until ready to use.
- Mix grated apple with lemon juice in a bowl, set aside.
- Mix liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Add grated apple & liquid ingredients into dry mix, then roughly mix with a fork.
- Dust bench counter lightly with flour, then transfer dough onto the floured surface.
- Knead dough briefly until no large patches of flour remains, then shape into a ball.
- Flatten ball to approx. 2-2.5cm thick, then transfer onto a lined baking tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 15 minutes.
- Cut refrigerated dough into 8 wedges, then separate each wedge (ensure to leave some gaps between each wedge before baking).
- Brush the top with egg wash, then lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170C (fan-forced) or 190C oven (conventional) for 25-30 minutes. Cover scones halfway through with aluminium foil if browning too quickly.
- Serve scones with a drizzle of caramel sauce and sprinkle with crushed up biscuit.